Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In with a BANG!


(Me with my dad's gun on the left and my little gun on the right)

We’re bringing this season in with a BANG! As we do every Autumn, my dad and I just got done sighting in a couple rifles. I usually take some shots with my little Model 7 Remington 7mm-08 with a shortened stock to make sure that every thing is running just as smoothly as it was last season. We make sure that my gun is accurate, meaning that my shots are all falling in around the same area, and precise, meaning that my shots are hitting where I’m aiming. Also, I like to take the time to remind myself what it feels like to pull the trigger again. Not that I ever really forget. But, I like to make sure that I’m ready for when the animal is in my sights and I don’t jump from the sound of the gun or make some other silly mistake.

(My dad giving me the "thumbs-up" after checking my hits in the spotting scope)

This season, however, we also brought out my dad’s trusty 7mm Remington mag. This gun has passed the test of time. My dad has used it for about twenty years. It’s been through many Montana seasons and has traveled to New Zealand, Kirgizstan, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia. This year, we’re anticipating some longer-range shots and my little gun would probably do just fine, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s not worth wounding an animal by using my smaller gun.


But, I do have to say, my dad’s 7 mag has a bit more of a kick than I’m used to. 

                                          (Even Jesse got to take a couple shots!)

-Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment